Christmas Special Mukta Top Himalayan Trek from Mumbai
Grade: Easy to Moderate
A hidden Kohinoor in the diamond necklace of Uttarakhand, Mukta Top is an easy – moderate summit winter trek offering a white carpet of snow and views of majestic snow clad peaks of the Gangotri and Bandarpooch Ranges of the Himalayas. The best part of this trek is the experience of isolation. This trek has received very little footfall and hence, silence is of permanence in these untouched mountains.
The trail offers plenty of forest-walk, since the first 2 days of the trek will be under shade and canopy of the trees. You see plenty of bamboo forests, you seldom see such forests on other treks.
And as you go further up, you see rhododendrons, maples, ancient oak trees and pines. The forests are dense and as mysterious as forest-lovers wish them to be.
After the forest trails end, the trail opens up to meadows, revealing few of Uttarakhand’s high mountain peaks. And from the summit, you get a 360 degree view of all of these mountains!
On a clear day, you spot the Mt Jaonli (6632 m), the Gangotri Peak (6577 m), Mt Kalanag (6387 m), Bandarpoonch 1 (6316 m) and 2 (6102 m), Draupadi Ka Danda 1 (5716 m) and Draupadi Ka Danda 2 (5670 m). You also spot the trekkable Nag Tibba top (3022 m).
This trek is a perfect choice for a trekker who wants an isolated, secluded winter trek!
Date : 25th - 30th December 2020 (Ex Dehradun)
We strongly recommend to all the participants to do a COVID test before travelling to Uttarakhand /Himachal or any other long tour.
We also recommend to all the participants to give RT-PCR test not less than 96 hours before the travel and carry COVID negative certificates with them.
Doing a test strongly reduces the probability of participants coming to the mountains as asymptomatic carriers. It makes it a lot safer for all the participants and staffs in the team.
Cost: 10,499/- per person (Ex Dehradun)
Day 1: Mumbai to Delhi By Air
Report at Mumbai Airport by 11 am , Catch Go Air Ticket at 13:30 Hrs and Reach Delhi by 16:00 Hrs
Move to Delhi Railway Station OR Bus Stand and Catch Train OR Bus for Dehradun
Day 2: Reach Kuflon from Dehradun.Altitude: 4,600 ft.Time Taken: 7 – 8 Hours
Reach Dehradun early Morning and start our journey for Kuflon, the base camp for Muktha top trek, is around 7 hours from Dehradun.
The drive takes you through lovely forest stretches and along the banks of the Bhagirathi river which later becomes the Ganga. The largest town on the route is Uttarkashi. The base camp is near the banks of River Assi Ganga, a tributary of Bhagirathi river.
Spend the night at the campsite, the last time you’ll be sleeping on a cautioned bed for the next 4 days :P
Day 3: Kuflon to Shiladhuni , Altitude: 6,780 ft ,Time Taken: 4 hrs, 4 kms
We begin with a gradual hike through the village. The trail goes through a steep pine forest full of
rhododendrons, green oak, brown oak and a few maple trees. Soon, you will reach a stream. Refresh yourself with some mountain water as we get close to the campsite.
The view now opens up through the forest for the very first time. You camp at a small clearing, here.
Day 4: Shiladhuni to Chaithathar , Altitude: 9,600 ft.Time Taken: 5 – 6 hrs, 5 kms
Today’s trail is steep and slightly difficult. Trek through a forest patch which is steep and rocky. Soon after that you cross a small stream using wooden logs and stones placed on it.
After refilling your bottles here, start hiking for 45 minutes and reach Kuari (also our campsite while descending). A steep ascent through a rocky patch for an hour will take you to a view point from where you see the whole valley. You will also spot your previous campsites from here. From here the ascent is gradual.
Day 5: Chaithathar to Mukta Top, Descend to Kuari, Altitude: Ascend to 11,800 ft ; Descend to 7,800 ft ,Time Taken: 4 hrs, 4 kms
Follow the well-made out trail and in a couple of hours you will reach a small clearing covered in snow. Towards your right you’re welcomed by the first glimpse of Mt. Bandarpoonch, Kalanag and on the left side by Nag Tibba.
Continue walking 15 minutes on an upward trail to see a small hill with patches of birch and brown oak trees. Now, all that’s in front of you is a carpet of white, shining snow. You pass through the base of the hill and walk on undulating meadows for an hour to reach Mukta Tal. The tal is relatively small and quiet. Relax for a bit, before moving for the final push to the summit, a relatively steep 45 mins climb.
From the top, you get a 360 degree view of peaks like DKD I/II, Gangotri III, Jaonli, Bandarpoonch I/II, Kalanag and Nag Tibba. Just another ridge walk ahead of the summit, there is yet another lake locally called the Siyari Tal.
You descend through the same route to Kuari campsite. Kuari has a couple of streams nearby for your water needs.
Day 6: Kuari to Kuflon, Relax at Base. (Add-on Drive to Gangnani Hot Water Springs) (4 – 5 Hours) , Altitude: 4,600 ft
It would take about 4 hours to reach Kuflon. Reach back to camp. Enjoy the experiences of the campsite, soaking in the vibe and the yummy food.
Just over 60 kms from Kaflon are the Gangnani Hot Water Springs. After a tiring winter trek, in our opinion, there is no better treat to be had. This will be an optional add-on option, but one that shouldn’t be missed.
Enjoy the celebratory music back at camp as we get to the end of the trip.
Day 7: Drive back to Dehradun
Retrace your footsteps back to where we started from and enjoy the drive to Dehradun. Spend some quality time in the bylanes of this budding city. Board the night train from Dehradun Railway Station to Delhi and bid adios to this beautiful small hamlet.
Day 8: Delhi to Mumbai by Air
Catch 10.30 Hrs Flight from Delhi and Reach Mumbai by 12.35 Hrs.
Things to Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Rucksack – If you are offloading your Rucksack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-on, if required for campsite
- 2 Water Bottles (1 liter each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (2 pairs each)
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry a Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket, or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 2 collared and full-sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses – Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors.
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume – Please consult your doctor in this regard
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
- Avoid wearing precious Jewelry while trekking, as Trikon, won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
- Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
- Dear Trikoners, always remember SHOES are your best companion on a trek! Please wear a good pair of TREKKING SHOES and not sports or running shoes. Make sure they are durable and firm enough to withstand tough conditions. You can carry floaters to wear only after the trek is completed. Feel free to contact Trikoner buddies prior to the trek in case of any confusion.
Fitness & Health:
Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands a good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Each member of the group (participants/leaders/ clients & staff) wears a protective mask while on interaction with each other. Do carry few unused, disposable masks.
- It is strongly recommended to wear caps, full sleeves shirts and full trousers and shoes for adventure activities. It reduces exposure of your body parts.
- It should be ascertained from the participants that they are not residing / have not traveled in a containment zone and have not come in contact with any person who was tested positive in the last 14 days.
- Ascertain whether any participant has any symptoms of Influenza-like illness (ILI) like fever, dry cough, weakness, severe body ache etc. at the time of beginning of activity. If it is so then he/she should be asked not to participate actively and be evacuated on medical grounds and should be asked to report to the local health authority with his own expenses.
- Strictly avoid eating gutkha, pan masala, cigarette, or sniffing which induces spitting, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching external surfaces and touching your face when in outdoors.
- If the location of your adventure activity is too crowded then be prepared to leave or wait for the crowd to disperse/for your turn.
- It is mandatory that a participant informs the organizers if he tests positive for Covid within 14 days of returning from adventure activity. It will help the organizers to inform and alert all other persons in the group, so that they can follow the medical/government norms in this regard. Here it is absolutely essential that the participant observes
transparency and informs the organizers/group leaders about his Covid test results.
- Surreal trek through the glistening white snow-covered mountains
- Get to touch the sky and get an eye-level view of the famous summits, especially a close view of the Bandarpoonch ranges
- Astronomy and Astrophotography is best done here where the glittering stars and stretched milky way ornament the sky at night
- The meadows of Shiladhuni and Kuari situated in the clearing of the forests of Oak and Maple creating a perfect picnic spot
- Drive through “Queen of Hills” –Mussoorie
What is included in the tour
- Mumbai to Delhi & Return by Air Ticket (closed)
- Delhi to Dehradun & Return by 3AC Train Tickets OR Semi Sleeper AC Bus ( Depend on Availability )
- Transport from Dehradun to Dehradun
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic tents and guesthouse (Triple sharing basis)
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner from Day-3 to Day-5
- Dinner on Day-2
- Breakfast on Day-7
- First aid medical kits and medical assistance during the trek
- Professional trek leads, event management fees, and support staff
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transport from Delhi Airport to Delhi Railway / Bus Station and Return to Airport
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trek
- Offloading of bags during the trek
- Breakfast and Lunch on Day-1
- Lunch and Dinner on Day 6
- Anything, other than mentioned under ‘Inclusions’ above
- Tax as applicable
- 5% GST