Gidara Bugyal & Bamsaru Lake Trek
A hidden Kohinoor in the diamond necklace of Uttarakhand, Gidara Bugyal is a high altitude meadow at 3,800 mts offering a green carpet of grass and views of majestic snow clad peaks of the Gangotri and Bandarpooch Ranges of the Himalayas. It’s not just about the destination – the journey is filled with innumerable flowers, of varied types during the blooming season, walking through these seems not less than a walk in paradise.
Experience the thrill of climbing up to 4,600 mts, up to Bamsaru Khal, in the lap of the Bandarpooch range, with a lake below you in the middle of a glacial landscape – Bamsaru Lake. Walk down the snow slopes or slide, all the way down to the lake.
On your way down, enjoy some tea made from pure milk, before moving down to the campsite. Before leaving the mountains, take a dip in the natural hot water springs at Gangnani, relaxing your body from tip to toe.
With all the ingredients of well known treks of Valley of Flowers and Roopkund packed in one, in terms of varied terrains ranging from forests, green meadows, blossoming flowers to snow clad peaks, this trek forms a recipe of adventure like none other!
Arrival: Pickup from Dehradun Railway Station at 6 am
- Those travelling from Delhi can opt to take the ‘Nanda Devi Express’, that would arrive at Dehradun Railway Station by 5:40 am
- There arriving by bus, plan your travel accordingly. We will pick you up from ISBT Dehradun by 6:30 am.
- If you’re planning to travel directly via flight, you’ll need to land a day prior to the departure date.
- Those joining us from Uttarkashi, you will need to arrange for own transport to and from Uttarkashi and Dehradun respectively. Government busses and share taxis ply at regular intervals.
We would reach Dehradun by evening – approx. 5 pm. Kindly make your return arrangements accordingly. The airport is an hour away from the main city centre.
Batch 1: 4th - 11th October 2020 (Ex Dehradun)
Batch 2: 11th - 18th October 2020 (Ex Dehradun)
Above dates not possible?
Contact us & we promise to customize above itinerary as per your convenience.
Call now on 9820022466 or drop an email on email@example.com
Day 1: Drive from Dehradun to Bhangeli (7 – 8 Hours)
Altitude: 2100 Mts (7,000 Feet)
Begin the road trip by driving out of city limits, leaving the hustle-bustle behind, in quest for calmer mountains towards Gangotri. After a while into the drive, we halt for breakfast. Do not overeat considering the twisting and turning roads. As we go further, you find yourself moving along the bank of River Bhagirathi. The well laid road leads us to Uttarkashi, a town well known for its meditators and rishis. Fill your bellies with tasty food as you can sense freshness in the air and water.
We pass through hot water springs in a village just before our destination. Carry a pair of change handy if you wish to enjoy a bath in the natural springs!
Continue the drive to the road end near the village of Bhangeli. A short hike of 30 mins awaits you with a climb up to the village, where you will be greeted at the homestay, also our very own café. Here, we provide you with a local food experience, if you wish to choose so. Relax and prepare for the trek that begins on the next day.
Day 2: Bhangeli to Rikh Gairi (5 – 6 Hours)
Altitude: 2,930 Mts (9,800 Feet)
Distance: 7 Kms
We begin the climb from our guesthouse, walking through the small village pavements. Take the blessings of the village deity, before beginning the climb into the forest. As we go higher, we begin to see the Gangotri range on the opposite side with a much more clear view. We meander through paths paved by shepherd herds midst a forest full of Deodar and Oak trees. If we’re lucky enough, we might find edible wild mushrooms growing out from tree trunks. Those interested can pluck them off to be eaten later with lunch. Fill your bottles with rich and fresh mineral water running through the streams as some sweat might trickle down from your face given the steepness of the climb.
We walk through ‘Gujjar Huts’, traditionally built of wood and mud, with a fireplace inside. Sit at the fire for some well deserved rest while we request them to give us some tea made of fresh goat’s milk with the packed lunch already carried.
The last part of the day contains a gentle walk before we reach the campsite. Cherish the view from the open meadow in the middle of the forest, while recovering from the day’s hard work.
Day 3: Rikh Gairi to Gidara Bugyal (6 – 7 Hours)
Altitude: 3,800 Mts (12,700 Feet)
Distance: 7 Kms
After breakfast, we walk to the top of the hill, after which we walk down till the base of the valley where a stream flows. From here, you can see a far away mountain that had collapsed back in 1988 causing a blockage in the River Ganga and a major flood. A picturesque location, relax for a while before we begin our next climb.
The top welcomes you to the world of mesmerizingly varied flowers with views of snow clad peaks of Srikant, Dhopadi Ka Danda and Jaonli at the backdrop. It will be extremely difficult to keep your cameras inside during this walk, though I’d like to raise a caution when it comes to touching the flowers without asking us – many could be poisonous.
After a gentle walk for about an hour, opens up the view of the heavenly vast meadow of Gidara, a lush green expanse that spreads as far as the eye can reach. With horses, cows and sheep grazing all over the place, this is a fairyland in its true sense. Sip some tea, play some music as you watch this wonderful wallpaper – like view before settling in your tents.
Day 4: Gidara Bugyal to Bamsaru Lake and back, Day Excursion to Gidara Top
(5 - 6 Hours)
Altitude: 4,800 Mts (16,000 Feet)
Distance: 12 Kms
No one’s going to come and annoy you to wake up early today! You’ll have two options: Either visit Bamsaru Lake or Gidara Top.
The more adventurous ones can opt for the lake, which involves another climb of about 2 hours, taking you up to an altitude of 16,000 feet, placing you in the lap of the Bandarpooch range, making you feel like a child of the Great Himalaya. With glaciers spread across all directions, you find a clear cold lake at the bottom of the other side. Slide through the snow slopes – a kilometre long slide or walk down. Let the silence sink in at the lakeside, as you’re surrounded with walls of rock and ice on all sides. Spend some time solo, as we walk back to the bugyal, while this spectacle of nature flows through you like a river.
The ones looking to relax a bit, there’s no need to feel any less. We go for a short climb up to Gidara Top. You’ll be surprised at the 360 degree views from the top. Exposing the Gangotri, Yamunotri and Bandarpooch ranges, this place will force you sit down and reflect upon your life. A heavenly location it is, with views of the entire Bugyal from the top.
Let’s enjoy some games considering some storage of energy during the day!
Day 5: Gidara Bugyal to Rikh Gairi
Altitude: 2,930 Mts (9,800 Feet)
Distance: 7 Kms
Walk back down to RIkh Gairi after watching the sunrise, walk around the bugyal before going back down. Visit the shepherd huts on your way back, try your hand at ‘bakri ki chai’, fresh and locally made. Just a warning though, it’s not always so easy on everyone’s stomach.
Day 6: Rikh Gairi to Bhangeli, Visit Hot Springs and Drive to Kuflon (5 – 6 Hours)
Altitude: 2100 Mts (7,000 Feet)
Distance: 7 Kms
It’s all the way downhill to civilization. After reaching the base village, collect your belongings and leave for the roadhead.
Nothing beats a bath in natural hot water springs after a tiring trek. Relax in the Gangnani pools before driving to Kaflon for the night where you will be staying in Swiss tents overlooking the Assi Ganga River and snow-clad peaks.
Retreat for the night.
Day 7: Drive to Dehradun!
Post breakfast, leave for Dehradun. Kindly arrange for further transport taking into consideration the travel suggestions as mentioned above.
Things To Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Rucksack – If you are offloading your Rucksack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-ons, if required for campsite
- 2 Water Bottles (1 litre each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (2 pairs each)
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 2 collared and full sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses - Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors.
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume - Please consult your doctor in this regard
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in homestay on Day 1
- Accommodation in comfortable tents during the trek
- Accommodation in Swiss Tents on Day 6
- Sleeping Bags and Mattresses
- All meals from Day 2 to Day 6
- Dinner on Day 1
- Breakfast on Day 7
- Transportation from Dehradun to base camp and back(Ex – Dehradun)
- Expert and Qualified Trek Leaders and Guides
- GST 5%
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transportation cost to and from Dehradun
- Breakfast and Lunch on Day 1
- Lunch and Dinner on Day 7
- Offloading cost of bags during the trek
- Transportation of offloaded bags to end point
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trip
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusions
- Any other activities opted for
- Untouched and vast green high altitude meadows
- Hidden Lake with a clear view of Bandarpooch Range
- Fascinating views of snow-clad peaks all around
- Natural Hot Water Springs
- A cafe' hidden away in the high hountains