A hidden Kohinoor in the diamond necklace of Uttarakhand, Mukta Top is an easy – moderate summit winter trek offering a white carpet of snow and views of majestic snow clad peaks of the Gangotri and Bandarpooch Ranges of the Himalayas. The best part of this trek is the experience of isolation. This trek has received very little footfall and hence, silence is of permanence in these untouched mountains.
The trail offers plenty of forest-walk, since the first 2 days of the trek will be under shade and canopy of the trees. You see plenty of bamboo forests, you seldom see such forests on other treks.
And as you go further up, you see rhododendrons, maples, ancient oak trees and pines. The forests are dense and as mysterious as forest-lovers wish them to be.
After the forest trails end, the trail opens up to meadows, revealing few of Uttarakhand’s high mountain peaks. And from the summit, you get a 360 degree view of all of these mountains!
On a clear day, you spot the Mt Jaonli (6632 m), the Gangotri Peak (6577 m), Mt Kalanag (6387 m), Bandarpoonch 1 (6316 m) and 2 (6102 m), Draupadi Ka Danda 1 (5716 m) and Draupadi Ka Danda 2 (5670 m). You also spot the trekkable Nag Tibba top (3022 m).
This trek is a perfect choice for a trekker who wants an isolated, secluded winter trek!
Batch 1: 14th - 19th December 2020 (Ex Dehradun)
Batch 2: 21st - 26th December 2020 (Ex Dehradun)
Batch 3: 28th December 2020 - 2nd January 2021 (Ex Dehradun)
Day 1: Reach Kuflon from Dehradun.
Altitude: 4,600 ft.
Time Taken: 7 – 8 Hours
Kuflon, the base camp for Muktha top trek, is around 7 hours from Dehradun.
The drive takes you through lovely forest stretches and along the banks of the Bhagirathi river which later becomes the Ganga. The largest town on the route is Uttarkashi. The base camp is near the banks of River Assi Ganga, a tributary of Bhagirathi river.
Spend the night at the campsite, the last time you’ll be sleeping on a cautioned bed for the next 4 days :P
Day 2: Kuflon to Shiladhuni
Altitude: 6,780 ft
Time Taken: 4 hrs, 4 kms
We begin with a gradual hike through the village. The trail goes through a steep pine forest full of
rhododendrons, green oak, brown oak and a few maple trees. Soon, you will reach a stream. Refresh yourself with some mountain water as we get close to the campsite.
The view now opens up through the forest for the very first time. You camp at a small clearing, here.
Day 3: Shiladhuni to Chaithathar
Altitude: 9,600 ft.
Time Taken: 5 – 6 hrs, 5 kms
Today’s trail is steep and slightly difficult. Trek through a forest patch which is steep and rocky. Soon after that you cross a small stream using wooden logs and stones placed on it.
After refilling your bottles here, start hiking for 45 minutes and reach Kuari (also our campsite while descending). A steep ascent through a rocky patch for an hour will take you to a view point from where you see the whole valley. You will also spot your previous campsites from here. From here the ascent is gradual.
Day 4: Chaithathar to Mukta Top, Descend to Kuari
Altitude: Ascend to 11,800 ft ; Descend to 7,800 ft
Time Taken: 4 hrs, 4 kms
Follow the well-made out trail and in a couple of hours you will reach a small clearing covered in snow. Towards your right you’re welcomed by the first glimpse of Mt. Bandarpoonch, Kalanag and on the left side by Nag Tibba.
Continue walking 15 minutes on an upward trail to see a small hill with patches of birch and brown oak trees. Now, all that’s in front of you is a carpet of white, shining snow. You pass through the base of the hill and walk on undulating meadows for an hour to reach Mukta Tal. The tal is relatively small and quiet. Relax for a bit, before moving for the final push to the summit, a relatively steep 45 mins climb.
From the top, you get a 360 degree view of peaks like DKD I/II, Gangotri III, Jaonli, Bandarpoonch I/II, Kalanag and Nag Tibba. Just another ridge walk ahead of the summit, there is yet another lake locally called the Siyari Tal.
You descend through the same route to Kuari campsite. Kuari has a couple of streams nearby for your water needs.
Day 5: Kuari to Kuflon, Relax at Base. (Add-on Drive to Gangnani Hot Water Springs) (4 – 5 Hours)
Altitude: 4,600 ft
It would take about 4 hours to reach Kuflon. Reach back to camp. Enjoy the experiences of the campsite, soaking in the vibe and the yummy food.
Just over 60 kms from Kaflon are the Gangnani Hot Water Springs. After a tiring winter trek, in our opinion, there is no better treat to be had. This will be an optional add-on option, but one that shouldn’t be missed.
Enjoy the celebratory music back at camp as we get to the end of the trip.
Day 6: Drive back to Dehradun
Arrival: Pickup from ISBT Dehradun at 6:30 am
There arriving by bus, plan your travel accordingly. We will pick you up from ISBT Dehradun by 6:30 am.
If you’re planning to travel directly via flight, you’ll need to land a day prior to the departure date.
Departure: Drop at ISBT Dehradun
We would reach Dehradun by evening – approx. 6 pm. Kindly make your return arrangements accordingly. The airport is an hour away from the main city centre.
Things To Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Rucksack – If you are offloading your Rucksack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-ons, if required for campsite
- 2 Water Bottles (1 litre each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (2 pairs each)
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 2 collared and full sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses - Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors.
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume - Please consult your doctor in this regard
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Swiss Tents(Campsite) on Day 1
- Accommodation in comfortable tents during the trek
- Sleeping Bags and Mattresses
- All meals from Day 2 to Day 5
- Dinner on Day 1
- Breakfast on Day 6
- Transportation from Dehradun to base camp and back(Ex – Dehradun)
- Expert and Qualified Trek Leaders and Guides
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transportation cost to and from Dehradun
- Breakfast and Lunch on Day 1
- Lunch and Dinner on Day 6
- Offloading cost of bags during the trek
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trip
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusions
- Any other activities opted for
- Surreal trek through the glistening white snow covered mountains
- Get to touch the sky and get an eye level view of the famous mountain summits
- Astronomy and Astrophotography is best done here where the glittering stars and stretched milky way ornament the sky at night
- Drive through “Queen of Hills” –Mussoorie and reach the astonishing village of Kuflon located on a hill slope