Lonar Crater : It may look like an ordinary oval-shaped lake surrounded by hills but it’s a lot more than just a pretty scenery. Legend has it that this lake was a result of a meteor impact on Earth, the timing of which is estimated to be over 50,000 years ago according to geological studies. (That’s way more time than what you’d have to wait for the entire Game of Thrones series to download in full HD!)
About Lonar Crater
The Lonar crater was formed by the impact of a mere chip of the moon that weighed more than a million ton! The water in this lake is both saline as well as alkaline in nature. This “bowl of biodiversity” attracts many ecologists, geologists, astronomers and curious laymen alike. Discovered not more than 57 years before the neighbouring world famous Ajanta caves, the Lonar also contains traces of moon minerals. It is the youngest and best preserved impact crater formed in the Deccan Plateau’s tough basalt rock, the only of its kind on earth.
A number of migratory birds can be seen around even though the lake does not support any marine life like fish etc. The winged creatures feed on a unique kind of green algae found there. Apart from that, species like parakeet and peafowl can be commonly seen.
The temples in the lake’s vicinity have their own stories to tell. The Daityasudan Temple, that was built to worship Lord Vishnu, looks like a replica of the Konark Sun Temple albeit without the chariot wheels. A Hanuman Temple near the lake has an idol apparently made out of the meteor rock having magnetic properties. With so many things to discover, this trip surely offers a 360 degree learning experience.
Date : 30th November - 01st December 2019
Day 0 – Friday
09:05 pm Catch 17057 / Devgiri Express for overnight journey to Jalna
Day 1 – Saturday
05:00 am Reach Jalna Station, proceed towards Buldhana
08:00 am Reach Lonar, Breakfast at hotel
10:00 am Fresh up at Hotel
11:00 am Introductory session
01:00 pm Enjoy lunch at hotel
04:00 pm Start the Lonar parikrama trek
06:00 pm Explore Daityasudan and other temples
07:00 pm Evening snacks and chai
10:00 pm Dinner time!
Day 2 – Sunday
06:00 am Wake up to a gorgeous sunrise, enjoy breakfast
08:00 am Trek down the Lonar crater, explore the area
10:00 am Breakfast
11:00 am Proceed back to hotel for check-out
01:00 pm Lunch at hotel
03:00 pm Leave for Jalna & Enroute visit to the birthplace of Rajmata Jijabai if time permits
07:00 pm Reach Jalna Station
08:15 pm Catch Nandigram Express for overnight journey to Mumbai
Day 3 – Monday
05:40 am Reach CST
Things to Carry
- ID Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Camera (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & Biscuits
- Extra Pair of Clothes
- Clean napkin or small towel
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Haversack or Backpack (No sling bags)
- Please carry medicines if you need any
- Hand Sanitizer
- Avoid wearing precious Jewelry while trekking, as Trikon won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
- This is a backpacking trip, so at times we might have to rely on Public transport for covering short distances
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
- Explore the lake and nearby area
- Do a parikrama around the lake
- Observe unique flora and fauna
- Spot various species of birds like parakeet, peafowl
- Visit the artistic Daityasudan Temple
- Check out numerous temple ruins in the vicinity
What is included in the tour
- Non-AC Sleeper train tickets Mumbai-Jalna-Mumbai
- Private transfers Jalna-Lonar-Jalna
- Food-2 breakfast, 2 lunch, 1 dinner
- Non-AC Dormitory accommodation at MTDC
- Trikon expertise charges
- Guide Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Food ordered in train journey
- Any personal expenses such as soft drinks etc.
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusion
- 5% GST