Trek to Harischandragad Fort
Grade: Medium | Endurance: Medium
Harishchandragad Fort never fails to amuse wanderers with its abundance of mythological and historical importance while the most picturesque are it's mountainous ranges.
Harishchandragad is a hill fort in the Ahmednagar District of India. Its history is linked with that of Malshej Ghat kothale village and it has played a major role in guarding and controlling the surrounding region. The fort is quite ancient. Remnants of Microlithic man have been discovered here. The various Puranas (ancient scriptures) like Matsyapurana, Agnipurana and Skandapurana include many references about Harishchandragad. Its origin is said to have been in the 6th century, during the rule of Kalachuri dynasty.
This cliff faces west and looks down upon the Konkan. It provides a scenic view of the surrounding region and the setting sun. The cliff has an overhang, but has been climbed many times. Sometimes a circular rainbow (Brocken Spectre phenomenon) can be seen from this point. It can be seen only when there is a bit of mist in the valley, and the sun is right behind the person facing the valley.
Day 0: Friday Night
Catch Last Local to Kalyan
- 12:15 @ CST
- 12:23 @ Byculla
- 12:33 @ Dadar
- 12:43 @ Kurla
- 01:09 @ Thane
- 01:43 @ Kalyan
Day 1: Saturday
04:00 am Reach Khireshwar Base Village, Rest for some time till Sunrise
07:00 am Freshen up and Breakfast
08.00 am Start the trek to Harishchandragad via Khireshwar Route
01:00 pm Reach Cave. Rest and Relax for some time
02.00 pm Lunch time
03.00 pm Nap for a while ;)
04.30 pm Explore Harishchandragad & Enjoy Sunset from Konkan Kada
09.00 pm Dinner and Night Stay in the Cave
Day 2: Sunday
04:00 am Wake up to climb Taramati peak, the second-highest peak in Maharashtra
05:30 am Reach top
06:00 am Start descend to witness hypnotizing Konkan Kada
07:30 am Breakfast
09:00 am Post Breakfast Start descend
01:30 pm Reach Khireshwar
02.00 pm After reaching Khireshwar, hog on yummy lunch
04.00 pm Start our return journey for Kalyan
07.00 pm Reach Kalyan Station
Things to Carry
- ID Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Camera (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & Biscuits
- Extra Pair of Clothes
- Clean napkin or small towel
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Sleeping Bag or Proper Bedding
- Haversack or Backpack (No sling bags)
- Please carry medicines if you need any
- Hand Sanitizer
Monsoon Safety Measures
- Put clothes, money, camera, phone etc in polythenes while packing
- Wear shoes with good grips
- Use repellents to keep bugs away
- Make note of nearest railway station, bus stop, taxi stand etc.
- Do not stray away from your group during the trek
- Keep family & friends informed about your whereabouts
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
What is included in the tour
- Local Transport from Kalyan to Kalyabn
- Saturday Breakfast, Lunch , Evening Tea, Dinner & Sunday Breakfast , Lunch
- Stay in Cave
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any other expense of personal use other than mentioned in inclusions
- Any personal expenses such as soft drinks etc.
- Anything other than the above mentioned inclusion
- Trek among clouds, enjoy the amazing weather
- Scenic View from Kokankada is absolute divine
- Lake 'Sapta Tirta' and Harishchandreshwar Temple
- Medieval era Kedareshwar Cave and interesting predictions of Local Legends!
- Whole plethora of Peaks :Taramati,Ajoba Fort, Kulang and many more..