Thanale Caves Trek
Thanale Caves located near Sudhagad in Raigad district. It’s a group of 23 Buddhist caves, belonging to first century B.C including 2 chaityas, 2 stupas and viharas. One of the caves has 13 stupas, which were meant for monk walks during their devotional ceremony. Cave No 7 being the most beautiful one are looked as the masterpieces of architecture and engineering. It has interesting Archs and other carvings with figure of men, women and animals. These caves are beautiful historical site which finds its mention in the list of protected monuments of Archaeological Survey of India. Few caves have been blocked due to the cave roof collapse. It is said that Vasudev Balwant Phadke stayed in Thanale caves during the fight against Britishers.
Come onboard and be a part of this exciting and adventurous but an easy grade trek which is suitable for beginners with good endurance. The trail through the dense forest is tricky and confusing; make sure you stick to your group throughout the trek. Trek to Thanale caves from the base village will take approximately 2 hours. Thanale caves are located at the foot of the cliff, which are clearly visible from the waterfall. These caves were left in isolation after the decline of Chaul as port when trade routes were altered during the end of 5th century. It was rediscovered in 1890 by a missionary J. A. Abbot
06:00 am : Meet Trikon at Kotak Mahindra Atm near Pritam Hotel Dadar (E)
06:20 am : Pickup Point : K star Mall , Chembur East
06:40 am : Pickup Point : Vashi Below Main Bridge
07:00 am : Pick Up Point : Hotel 3 Star, Kharghar
09:00 am : Breakfast at Pali
09:30 am: Reach the base village Thanale and after a short introduction of all the fellow trekkers start trekking.
11:30 am: Enjoy the amazing beauty of Sahyadris along the route to reach the caves
12:00 pm: Reach Caves , Take rest, Start exploring the caves
1:30 pm: Allow yourself a delicious lunch treat and probably a power nap if time permits
2:00 pm: Start descending towards the Thanvale Village
4:00 pm: Reach the base and start the journey back home.
05:00 pm: Evening Snacks on the way to Mumbai
09:00 pm: Back to Mumbai, hopefully on time with no traffic jams.
- Avoid wearing precious Jewelry while trekking, as Trikon won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
- Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
- Dear Trikoners, always remember SHOES are your best companion on a trek! Please wear a good pair of TREKKING SHOES and not sports or running shoes. Make sure they are durable and firm enough to withstand tough conditions. You can carry floaters to wear only after the trek is completed. Feel free to contact Trikoner buddies prior to the trek in case of any confusion.
Fitness & Health:
Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
Covid Safety Guidlines
- Each member of the group (participants/leaders/ clients & staff) wears protective mask while on interaction with each other. Do carry few unused, disposable masks.
- It is strongly recommended to wear caps, full sleeves shirts and full trousers and shoes for adventure activities. It reduces exposure of your body parts.
- It should be ascertained from the participants that they are not residing / have not traveled in a containment zone and have not come in contact with any person who was tested positive in last 14 days.
- Ascertain whether any participant has any symptoms of Influenza like illness (ILI) like fever, dry cough, weakness, severe body ache etc. at the time of beginning of activity. If it is so then he/she should be asked not to participate activity and be evacuated on medical grounds and should be asked to report to local health authority with his own expenses.
- Strictly avoid eating gutkha, pan masala, cigarette or sniffing which induces spitting, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching external surfaces and touching your face when in outdoors.
- If the location of your adventure activity is too crowded then be prepared to leave or wait for the crowd to disperse/for your turn.
- It is mandatory that a participant informs the organizers if he tests positive for Covid within 14 days of returning from adventure activity. It will help the organizers to inform and alert all other persons in the group, so that they can follow the medical/government norms in this regard. Here it is absolutely essential that the participant observes
transparency and informs the organizers/group leaders about his Covid test results.
What is included in the tour
- Transport by Private Non Ac Bus
- Food: Breakfast & Evening Snacks
- Trikon Trekking Expertise Charges
- 5% GST
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal expenses
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions
- Stunning view of 23 ancient rock cut caves
- Peaceful jungle trail amidst the chirping of birds.
- Reliving history as you see the stone carvings and paintings done on the walls and ceiling inside the cave
- Witness the ancient Buddhist culture through their sculptures