Offbeat Gujarat Trip with Rani ki Vav
Located north west of Ahmedabad and not to be confused with the White Desert or the Rann of Kutch, “Little Rann of Kutch” or simply known as "LRK" can be called as the little brother of the Rann of Kutch. Covering almost 5000 sq kms of area, LRK is a salt marsh and is also a home to the Indian Wild Ass (khur). The Indian wild ass sanctuary or simply known as the IWAS is located inside the Little ran of Kutch.
A stepwell is called as a "Vav" in local Gujarati language. “Adalaj ki Vav” or “Rudadevi Stepwell” is a stepwell located in the village of Adalaj, close to Gandhinagar city. It is considered as a fine example of Indian architectural work. It was built in 1498 in the memory of King Rana Veer Singh by his wife, Queen Rudadevi.
“Rani ki Vav” is a stepwell located on the banks of Saraswati River in the Patan district of the state of Gujarat. Constructed in the 11th century it is of the oldest stepwells in Gujarat Once covered with silt, it was rediscovered in the year 1940 and restored to its original form by the Archaeological Survey of India. It is listed under UNESCO’s world heritage site. Rani ki vav is considered as the finest and one of the largest examples of stepwell architecture in Gujarat.
The Sun temple of Modhera as the name suggest is dedicated to the Sun God and is located near the city of Mehsana in Gujarat. This temple is built near the Tropic of cancer. The remains of the Sun Temples at Modhera are relics of times gone by. The exclusively carved temple complex and the magnificently sculpted Ramakund are jewels in the art of masonry of the Solanki period apparently which was also known as the Golden Age of Gujarat.
3 Tier AC train ticket available on request at Rs 1500/- extra, over and above trip cost
Ex Ahmedabad: Rs 8699/-
Day 1: Friday - Meet Trikon Team at Bandra Station at 23:30 hrs
Our train for Ahmedabad departs at 23:55 hrs.
Sleep tight as we have a long schedule ahead of us on the next day.
Day 2: Saturday - Adalaj ki Vav & Little Rann of Kutch
Reach Ahmedabad at 07:15 hrs in the morning. Freshen up quickly in the train itself so that we can save time and head outside to catch some delicious local breakfast like Jalebi, Khaman & more. Once we are done with the breakfast, head towards our first destination that is Adalaj ki Vav or Adalaj stepwell. Immerse yourself in this beautiful location as you click numerous selfies and make many reels for Instagram.
After this we head towards LRK or Little Rann of Kutch and check in to our resort. Rooms will be allocated to you by our tour leader. Freshen up, and head to the cosy and house restaurant to have a nice and sumptuous meal. Once you are done with your meals you can either choose to explore the vast outdoor areas of the resort or maybe take a dip in the resort swimming pool.
In evening at 16:00 hrs we head for the most awaited attraction of the trip that is the Little Rann of Kutch. We will take a nice and long safari which takes across the length and breadth of LRK. It is a great chance to spot migratory birds such as sarus crane, ducks, dalmatian pelican and flamingoes along with other wild mammals like the wild ass, Indian wolf, desert fox and nilgai residing inside the LRK. Our local guide will also share valuable information about salt panning which is a very crucial activity in the LRK. Also click some lovely photos of the sunset inside the Rann.
After completing the safari and clicking tons of photos head back towards the resort where yummy buffet dinner awaits us. After filling our tummies, either choose to catch up on some memories of the day over a bon fire or retire into your cosy beds.
Day 3: Sunday - Rani ki Vav & Sun Temple, Modhera
Wake up early to catch some gorgeous sunrise.
Freshen up, take breakfast and check out from the hotel and head towards our first destination of the day that is “Rani ki Vav”. The brilliant architecture added with the is the best recipe for amazing Instagram photos. At Rani ki Vav, we learn about the importance of stepwells in olden times from our local guide.
Next after having local traditional lunch at the fanous “Bansi Kathiyawadi” restaurant we head towards Modhera. At Modhera, we visit the Sun temple which is only next in importance to the Sun temple at Konark. Adjoining the temple is the Rama Kund which is again a kind of stepwell. There is also a museum in the premises for enthusiasts
After visiting the Sun temple, the trip ends with beautiful memories. Its now time to catch our train back to Mumbai.
Day 4: Monday
Reach Mumbai (Dadar Station) by 07:15 hrs as the trip concludes with happy memories
Things To Carry
- ID card hard copy (Aadhar or driving license)
- Water bottle
- A lightweight luggage and a small day pack to carry water and snacks
- Good pair of footwear
- Cap, sunglasses and scarf
- Camera & Binoculars (Optional)
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste and hand sanitizer
- Any medicines that you consume normally, post consulting a doctor
- Mosquito repellent
- Snacks & biscuits to munch on
- ORS or Glucon D
What is included in the tour
- Mumbai to Ahmedabad & return by non AC sleeper class train
- Private internal transport (air conditioned)
- Air conditioned accommodation on triple sharing basis in resort near Little Rann of Kutch
- Meals as mentioned (Day 1 breakfast, lunch (Veg/Non Veg), evening tea & dinner (Veg/Non Veg)) (Day 2 breakfast, lunch (Veg) & evening tea)
- Guided safari at Little Rann of Kutch
- Forest entry charges at Indian Wild Ass Sanctuary
- Entry charges at Adalaj ki Vav, Rani ki Vav & Sun temple Modhera
- Parking, permit and toll charges
- Trikon expertise charges
- 5% GST
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any meals other than mentioned
- Bottled water, Soft drinks, etc
- Camera charges at all sightseeing places
- Any miscellaneous expenditure incurred during the tour
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Stay in a luxury resort
- Witness the sprawling Little Rann of Kutch and its vast geological diversity
- Interact with the local salt making community
- Safari inside the Indian Wild Ass Sanctuary
- Witness migratory birds in the Rann
- The stepwell of Adalaj ki Vav
- Sun temple, Modhera
- World heritage site at Rani ki vav
- Local cuisine of Gujarat