Trek to Matheran via Sunset Point
Grade: Easy | Endurance: Easy
Matheran is a hill station and a municipal council in the Raigad district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a hill station in Karjat Tahsil and is also the smallest hill station in India. Matheran, which means "forest on the forehead" (of the mountains) is an eco-sensitive region, declared by the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India. It is Asia's only automobile-free hill station.
Dodhani Point is also known as Sunset point from where one can bid adieu to the setting sun. Climb and hike through easy grass patches and rocky edges to reach Dodhani Point so as to witness a memorable sunset. Sit calmly and share some stories with friends for making the moment even more memorable.
This place is at approx 2200 feet elevation above Mean Sea Level. It's a 3.5 km walk to Matheran "Bazaar Peth " from here. There is a route up to here from DODHANI or VAGHACHI WADI village which takes anywhere from 2-3 hours, and is very safe. It can be done even in the monsoons. This point is also called "PORCUPINE POINT"
Day 1 : Sunday
07.30 am - Meet the Trikon Team at Panvel Station (Next to ticket window)
07.45 am - Proceed towards ST Bus Depot
08.00 am - Leave for Dodhani
09.00 am - Reach Dodhani (Base Village) and have breakfast
09.30 am - Start trekking
12.30 pm - Reach the top
01.00 pm - Have lunch & explore Matheran
03.30 pm - Move towards Dasturi Naka from Matheran Station
05.00 pm - Reach Neral & have evening snacks
05.30 pm - Start return journey
CST 6.00 am
Vadala Road 6.18 am
Kurla 6.29 am
Vashi 6.48 am
Nerul 6.57 am
Panvel 7.20 am
Thane 6.20 am
Koparkhairane 6.37 am
Nerul 6.48 am
Panvel 7.12 am
Things to Carry
- Identity Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Trekking Shoes
- Enerzyl powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & biscuits
- Extra pair of clothes
- Clean napkin or towel
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Haversack or backpack (No sling bags)
- Camera (optional)
- Please carry personal medicines if any
- Hand Sanitizer
- Put clothes, money, camera, phone etc in polythenes while packing
- Wear shoes with good grips
- Use repellents to keep bugs away
- Make note of nearest railway station, bus stop, taxi stand etc.
- Do not stray away from your group during the trek
- Keep family & friends informed about your whereabouts
IMPORTANT: Avoid wearing precious Jewelry while trekking, as Trikon won’t be responsible for any losses for the same.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
Important Information: Dear Trikoners, always remember SHOES are your best companion on a trek! Please wear a good pair of TREKKING SHOES and not sports or running shoes. Make sure they are durable and firm enough to withstand tough conditions. You can carry floaters to wear only after the trek is completed. Feel free to contact Trikoner buddies prior to the trek in case of any confusion.
What is included in the tour
- Travel from Panvel to Dodhani
- Food: Breakfast & Evening Snacks
- Taxi charges from Dasturi Naka to Neral
- Matheran Entry fee
- Trikon Trekking Expertise Charges
- 5% GST
What is NOT included in the tour
- Train Ticket till Panvel & from Neral
- Any personal expenses such as soft drinks etc.
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusion
- Enroute in the monsoons is a beautiful waterfall
- Sun sets in between 'Map of India' shaped gap between Prabalgad & Kondi Durg, on the West side of Matheran
- Visit the smallest hill station in India