Sikkim – Backpacker’s Paradise
The Indian state of Sikkim is situated in the eastern Himalayas in the north-eastern region of the nation. One of India's tiniest states is this one. Sikkim is bordered to the north and northeast by the Tibetan Autonomous Region of China, to the southeast by Bhutan, to the south by the Indian state of West Bengal, and to the west by Nepal. In the state's southeast, in the city of Gangtok, sits the capital.
Sikkim, which is a section of the Eastern Himalaya, is known for its biodiversity and for having alpine and subtropical climates. It also has Kangchenjunga, the third-highest mountain on Earth and the highest peak in India. Gangtok is the capital and largest city in Sikkim. The Khangchendzonga National Park spans over 35% of the state.
Sikkim, a long-established independent political entity, was made an Indian protectorate in 1950 and a state in 1975. Despite its tiny size, Sikkim is very important to India politically and strategically because of its location along many international borders.
Sikkim is one of the beauties in north eastern part of India. It is nicely tucked away and beautifully landlocked with immense natural beauty, it has all the components which would sooth you from the tiredness of vigorous day-to-day activities. The mighty Kanchenjunga, considered a benevolent protector, dominates the region, making itself visible from various points within the state. As the mercury rises across the country in May, Sikkim provides a much-needed retreat. once again to the city you all escaped from, maybe for this little breather
Reaching Bagdogra Airport on your own : 25999/- per person ( Inclusive of 5% GST )
Mumbai to Mumbai by Air : 42,999/- per person ( Inclusive of 5% GST )
Bagdogra to Gangtok (135 km. / approx 4.30 hrs) / Overnight at Gangtok
On arrival at Bagdogra airport or NJP railway station board your vehicle to Gangtok (5500 Ft /1677 Mts). From Tista Bazaar follows the winding roads and a picturesque drive through Himalayan hills to Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. Check into hotel and get refreshed for a free leisure evening. Recommend to roam in MG road around the Mall to enjoy the typical Hill City life of Gangtok and enjoy a comfortable overnight stay in hotel.
Gangtok to Lachen (120 kms./5 hrs./ Alt.- 8,500 ft.) / Overnight at Lachen
After an early breakfast, we will proceed to Lachen. The route meanders through small villages with valleys upto forest grove of Kabi Lungchok. Shinghik comes next with its promises of one of the most glorious views of Kanchenjunga. Situated at an altitude of over 4000 ft Singhik offers a desired break to the travelers on the way to Lachen. We will have our lunch on the way. Visit Chungthang- the confluence of Lachen Chu and Lachung Chu (river) and Vimala falls water falls on your way to Lachen. Reach Lachung in the late afternoon. Lachen is also a base for the popular Green Lake trek
Excursion to Gurudongmar. Lachen to Lachung (50 km/ 2 hrs) / Overnight at Lachung
Early morning drive to Thangu Village (4100m / 13450ft), a remote high-altitude village of Tibetan Nomads and also proceed further to Chopta Valley (4000m / 13124ft) to get some breathtaking view of alpine valley of frozen rivers. From Chopta Valley drive for another 30 kms in 1.5hr to Gurudongmar Lake (5225m / 17143ft) close to Tibet Border, the one of the highest and biggest freshwater lakes in Sikkim and back to Lachen for a late lunch.
Check out from Lachen and drive further to Lachung via Chungthang. En-route visit Chungthang confluence of Lachen Chu and Lachung Chu and Vimala Waterfalls. Check in at hotel. Check in at hotel and enjoy a comfortable overnight stay.
Lachung - Another remote high-altitude village of Tibetan and Bhutia people in North Sikkim with towering rocky snow peaks, vibrant rhododendron valley, lush green yak pastures, perennial waterfalls, hot springs and the base for exploring alpine valley of Yumthang and Yumesamdong close to the Tibetan plateau.
Excursion to Yumthang. Lachung - Gangtok (24 km./ Alt.- 11,800ft.) / Overnight at Gangtok
Early morning drive to Yumthang Valley, an alpine flower valley in North Sikkim. Enjoy the scenic landscape and hot Spring and drive further for 30 kms to Yumesamdong (4725m / 15503ft) or Zero Point close to Tibet Border, one of the highest motorable roads in Sikkim. Full day excursion to Yumthang Valley. The valley is covered with snow during January to March & with rhododendrons during April & May. Enroute visit Sulphur Hot Spring having medicinal values. Lunch at hotel in Lachung. After lunch visit Handicraft Centre & Lachung Monastery. Later drive back to Gangtok, In the evening arrive at Gangtok and check into the hotel. Overnight at hotel in Gangtok.
Gangtok Sightseeing / Overnight at Gangtok
After our breakfast we will proceed for local sightseeing in or around Gangtok including Tashi view point, Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok. These viewpoints offering panoramic view of snow capped Himalayan peaks & Gangtok city. Proceed to visit Rumtek Monastery/ Jhakri Falls , Institute of Tibetology to have a glance of Tibetan antics, Orchid House ( Collection of Himalayan orchids), Enchey Monastery ,Dordul Chorten etc. In the evening visit to M G Marg, the busy market of Gangtok, for shopping and having Sikkimese delicacy at the local restaurant.
Day 6: Excursion – Tsomgo Lake & Baba Mandir (Nathula Pass Optionally) / Overnight at Pelling
After breakfast we will check out from hotel and embark for a memorable excursion tour to Tsomgo Lake (12,400 ft. /39 km), one of the highest altitudes Himalayan Lake. This beautiful oval shape lake almost 1 km long with its average depth 50 ft is situated in east Sikkim Himalaya. From here we will drive further 15 km to Baba Mandir. We’ll further drive to Nathula pass (12,000ft.) (depending on the availability of permit) towards China border depending upon the accessibility of the route. Reaching Pelling late night. Overnight at hotel in Pelling.
Day 7: Pelling Sightseeing / Overnight at Pelling
Pelling is a small hill town in the district of West Sikkim, India. Pelling is nestled at an altitude of 2,150 m (7,200 feet). The town is located at a distance of 10 km from the district headquarters of Geyzing and 131 km from Gangtok. Places to visit in and around Pelling include the local monasteries, rock garden, waterfall, the holy rock of Rani Dhunga, the imposing double-pronged Kanchenjungha Falls, the archaic quaint Singshore Bridge, the Changey Waterfalls, and the Khecheopalri Lake holy to Buddhists. One of the major attractions at Pelling is the Pelling Sky Walk and Chenrezig Statue - A new attraction near Sanga Choeling is the gigantic 137 feet statue of Chenrezig (Avalokitesvara) and a transparent Sky Walk made of glass that leads to the statue. It was opened in November 2018 and since then it has attracted significant footfall.
Day 8 : Pelling - Bagdogra
Check out from Pelling early morning around 4.30 AM and start towards Bagdogra as we have flight at 11.30 am to catch. Time to fly back home through same route for your onward journey with happy memories to cherish
Ensure that you land/arrive into Bagdogra latest by 11 am as we will depart from the airport by 11.30 am on Day 1
- Take a flight/train post 11.30 am on Day 8
What is included in the tour
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic triple sharing accommodation / home stays
- Internal travel during the trip, inclusive of the pickup and drop facility to the Bagdogra Airport
- Breakfast and Dinner provided during the trip
- All permits, entries etc.
- Services of an expert Trikon buddy during the trip
- 5% GST
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel cost of arrival to Bagdogra Airport on Day 1
- Travel cost of departure from Bagdogra Airport on Day 8
- Day 1 Breakfast , Day 8 Breakfast
- Food during the transit to and from Bagdogra Airport
- Any personal expenses made during the trip
- Anything apart from the inclusions
- Experience the highest and biggest freshwater lake, Gurudongmar.
- Enjoy the scenic alpine flower valley, Yumthang.
- Learn about the Buddhist culture and traditions at Namgyal Institute of Tibetology
- Experience one of the largest and oldest Rumtek Monastery
- Enjoy the picturesque Tsomgo Lake, one of the highest altitude Himalayan Lake.
- Experience the border gate between India and China at Nathula Pass
- Valid Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card), along with 5 Photocopies for each document.
- 5 Passport Size Color Photographs
- Water Bottles
- A light-weighted Haversack or Backpack, and a smaller Day Sack
- Good pair of trekking shoes, and a pair of flip-flops
- Woolen Gloves, woolen socks, Monkey Cap/Balaclava, Neck Scarf
- Thermal Inners
- Snow Jackets and Fleece Jackets
- Waterproof gloves and windcheater/poncho
- Personal clothing (Dressing Moderately is mandatory to visit Monasteries and Dzongs)
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Camera, Binoculars (Optional)
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, Light towel, Lip balm, Wet wipes, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer
- Extra Polythene Bags (To segregate used/ unused garments, wet/ dry clothing)
- Any medicines that you consume normally, post consulting a doctor
- Mosquito repellent
- Snacks & Biscuits to munch on (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- How can I get to Sikkim?
You can fly to Bagdogra Airport in Siliguri (WB), then take the taxi to Gangtok. Alternatively, you can take the train to New Jalpaiguri then take the taxi to Gangtok.
- Where are the best pilgrimage sites in Sikkim?
There are many religious places in Sikkim which are sacred sites for people from all faiths and religions. Some of the most famous religious places in Sikkim include Gahesh Tok, Siddheshwara Dham and numerous places of worship across faiths throughout the state.
- Can I hire a bike from Gangtok for ride to Gurudongmar Lake?
Yes, you can hire a bike from Gangtok for solo as well as group ride.
- How do I reach Gurudongmar Lake from Gangtok?
You can book a taxi from Gangtok or anywhere in Sikkim at a reasonable price.
- Can I issue permit for Nathula Pass online from my hometown?
There might be some update regarding online permit in future but currently permits are not issued online. You can issue a permit when you reach Gangtok.
- What are the available adventure sports for tourists?
Adventure activities in Sikkim to be enjoyed, are many. You can hike up to the lush mountain trails, feel the high adrenaline rush while fighting fierce river rapid, or can enjoy mountain biking on the paths created by former adventure junkies. Sikkim owns some of the best trekking trails in the country, offering stunning natural vistas and exotic wildlife spotting. Along with trekking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Mountain biking, hang gliding, River rafting and Mountaineering are some of the popular adventure activities in Sikkim.
- When is the best time to enjoy snowfall?
In summers Sikkim stays pleasant and lovely. The temperature stays between 5 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius. Nights of the summers can be chilling, so it is advised to pack in some woollen clothes as well. This is the best time to visit Sikkim’s Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang Valley, Nathula Pass, Rumtek Monastery, Khangchendzonga National Park and others are the places to definitely visit.
- Remember to consult your physician if you have any heart or breathing issues before making this trip.
- You may carry Popcorn and/or Camphor from Gangtok before heading over to High Altitude areas such as Lachen, Gurudongmar, Lachung, Yumthang, Yumesamdong & Nathula where the layer of Oxygen is very thin.
- Please refrain from clicking pictures while on the way to Gurudongmar from Lachen and at Nathula due to presence of our Indian Army base and various security issues.
- Please make sure you report at the start location as per the itinerary. No refunds would be entertained by Trikon. Consult your Trikon buddy in advance in case of any changes.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
- Any customization in arrival and departures may lead to additional cost.
- All sightseeing is subject to weather conditions, political conditions in the destination.
- Customization would not be adjusted with any inclusions such as missed sightseeing, stay, meals etc.
- Due to delay by participants if any destination gets missed same will not be covered.
- If any of the points remains closed without prior intimation, we will try to cover it up with another destination if feasible.
Fitness & Health – Though this is a fun-filled trip, it demands good amount of physical fitness because of its high altitude and thinner oxygen levels. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trip, your Trikon buddy will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.