Meghalaya - The Abode of Clouds
What if one could walk in the clouds, feel the cool breeze run through the hair & lush green terrain under your feet? You think it’s just a dream? Not anymore, cause we at Trikon are going to take you to a dreamland! - A destination that requires no wings to touch the clouds. If it's raw natural beauty that you want to explore, look no further than Meghalaya! The name itself means ‘THE ABODE OF CLOUDS’. It is also known as the land of the living root bridges, numerous caves & natural swimming pools. Receiving the maximum rainfall in the world, this heavenly state is filled with gushing waterfalls sheltered by rainbows, breathtaking trails and life in the woods. Meghalaya gives you the feel of a fictional story! Play your character in this story and we promise it will have a happy ending!
We strongly recommend to all the participants to do a COVID test before travelling to Meghalaya or any other long tour.
We also recommend to all the participants to give RT-PCR test not less than 96 hours before the travel and carry COVID negative certificates with them.
Doing a test strongly reduces the probability of participants coming to the mountains as asymptomatic carriers. It makes it a lot safer for all the participants and staff in the team.
Batch 1: Sunday, 31st January 2021 - Sunday, 7th February 2021
Batch 2: Sunday, 14th March 2021 - Sunday, 21st March 2021
Batch 3: Sunday, 11th April 2021 - Sunday, 18th April 2021
Batch 4: Sunday, 25th April 2021 - Sunday, 02nd May 2021
Batch 5: Sunday, 9th May 2021 - Sunday, 16th May 2021
Ex Guwahati: 19,999/- ( Transport from Guwahati to Guwahati )
Ensure that you land/arrive into Guwahati latest by 11 am as we will depart from the airport by 12 pm on Day 1
- Take a flight/train post 12 pm on Day 8
Above dates not possible?
Contact us & we promise to customize above itinerary as per your convenience.
Call now on 9820022466 or drop an email on email@example.com
Day 1 : Entering the Gateway to the Northeast
Reach Guwahati airport & meet the Trikon Team at the arrival terminal. Guwahati is popularly known as the gateway to the northeast as it connects all the seven sister states to the rest of India. The drive on NH 40 will lead you away from the bustling capital city of Assam to a cooler and greener Meghalaya. On the way you will get a glimpse of the beautiful Umiam Lake or Barapani as they locally call it and make a stopover to take pictures if you wish.
We will call it a day in Cherrapunjee also known locally as “Sohra”. Cherrapunjee alongwith Mawsynram in Meghalaya receive the highest rainfall in the world. On arrival you may relax & enjoy the beautiful weather. After having some hot & tasty local dinner we can spend the rest of the evening gazing at the stars and then slip into our warm & cozy beds. Adventure awaits from next day onwards.
Day 2 : A Trek to Remember!
Forget having a bath in the morning as we proceed to the beautiful step waterfalls of Wei Sawdong. Take a dip & refresh yourself as the next adventure will surely make you break a sweat.
Proceed towards Tyrna village which acts as the base point for Nongriat village trek. Even we don’t prefer to go down that path alone so our wonderful warm and fit as a fiddle guide will lead us into the jungle, acting more like a motivator than anything else. This trek is nothing like a typical trek as you need to climb down 3000 steps (you can count it as you go down). Your knees will start to give in and you will be drenched in sweat but you will recover every drop of it when you reach your destination - the double decker living root bridge. There will be pit stops along the way for you to drink water and try some local lime juice unless you want to beat the time set to trek down by one of the guys which stands at 1 hour to trek down. As soon you as you reach Nongriat you can put down your minimal baggage (only carry essentials for two days to make the trek easier, leaving the rest of the stuff back at the homestay) and come back to chill by the water bodies near the double decker bridge while getting a fish pedicure (yeah at no cost at all). Overnight stay at local accommodation.
Day 3 : Behold Paradise
Wake up early in the morning and after breakfast proceed for the trek in the jungle. The morning air won’t make you feel tired as you cross many more living root bridges and a few hanging bridges to reach Rainbow falls . The trekking time one way is approximately 2 hours and it’s better to see the rainbow falls in the afternoon as the sunlight would trigger the rainbow as the sun moves towards west.
If you are a good swimmer then you can swim near the waterfalls or chill out in the smaller pools.We do have a surprise spot over here just waiting for you to take a dip in it The place is scenic and spectacular. So please carry a basic camera and if you have binoculars you could also spot some birdlife. There is absolutely no need for bottled water as the water from the springs is much better and purer than the packaged water. However sunscreen, some loose clothing and trekking shoes will do just fine. Let’s not talk about the butterflies now as they will mesmerize you while you are down in Nongriat. Overnight stay at local accommodation.
Day 4 : Drive to the Natural Amusement park, Mawlyngbna
Bid goodbye to your hosts as we leave early to head towards Mawlyngbna. The steep climb to reach the parking spot on the well laid steps takes will drain you out and rest should be taken in case you get tired. We shall visit the legendary Nohkalikai falls if we manage to make it to Tyrna in time.
If you grew up in Mawlyngbna, you would never need an amusement park in your life. From serene spots in the jungle to exciting river activities, this place has it all. Our local guide will take you on a short walk to one of our favourite spots in the jungle to unwind from where you shall witness one of the best sunsets. After having sumptuous dinner at a local restaurant you may then return to your accommodation and call it a day. Here in this village we get a real feel of the Khasi culture
Day 5 : Water Activities at Mawlyngbna
You may start your second day on a more adventurous note as our local experts take you for river trekking or “river canyoning” as the guides call it. You could also choose to kayak or laze around the lake alternatively. Once you get done with all of that water, freshen up, have lunch & post lunch we shall go for a short but fascinating trek to Lew Luri Lura. According to local folklore, Lew Luri Lura was a marketplace for animals thousand years back, during a time when animals could speak. The depressions in the rock are believed to be footprints of the large animals. As you trek to this spot, our local guide will also show you fossils of species such as the starfish from a time when Meghalaya was under water. Spend the evening at leisure. Overnight at Mawlyngbna.
Day 6 : Pay homage to the Cleanest Village
Leave early in the morning and head towards Mawlynnong – which has been awarded the “cleanest village award in Asia”. One can spot Bangladesh region atop the many viewpoints over here. Have hot lunch in a local restaurant and proceed to see the Indo-Bangladesh border at Dawki.
Afterwards head towards most awaited moment of the trip i.e. camping besides the clean Umngot River. We shall call it a day with dinner, bonfire and story session besides the river.
Day 7 : Explore Shillong
Today wake up early and opt to go for a boat ride in the river. On a clear day, one can easily see the river bed. Have locally available breakfast and head for the last leg of our thrilling journey. On the way to pay a visit to the thrilling Krang Suri falls.
Reach Shillong in evening and relax. It is said that the rolling hills around the city reminded the British of their own Scotland and hence the name “Scotland of the East”. While in Shillong you can either chill at one of the cafes or chose to explore the local market popularly known as the “Police Bazar”. Overnight stay at Shillong.
Day 8 : The Final Goodbye
Wake up, enjoy breakfast and then pack your bags for the return journey to Guwahati. The long drive through Meghalaya will have numerous viewpoints, you could stop and admire the spots as long as you have time to make it for your flight/train back home. Arrive at Guwahati by afternoon and bid goodbye to the north east.
Things to Carry
- Valid Identity Proof (Passport/Voter ID Card/Aadhaar card), along with 5 photocopies for each document.
- 5 Passport Size Color photographs
- Water bottles
- A light-weighted Haversack or Backpack, and a smaller day pack
- Good pair of trekking shoes and a pair of flip-flops
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jackets
- Personal clothing
- Track pants, shorts
- Towel, napkins, etc.
- Cap, sunglasses, etc.
- Camera, binoculars, etc. (Optional)
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, Light towel, Lip balm, Wet wipes, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, etc.Extra Polythene Bags (To segregate clothes).)
- Any medicines that you consume normally, post consulting a doctor.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Snacks & Biscuits to munch.
- Enerzyl or Glucon D powder.
Covid Safety Guidelines
- Each member of the group (participants/leaders/ clients & staff) wears a protective mask while on interaction with each other. Do carry few unused, disposable masks.
- It is strongly recommended to wear caps, full sleeves shirts and full trousers and shoes for adventure activities. It reduces exposure of your body parts.
- It should be ascertained from the participants that they are not residing / have not traveled in a containment zone and have not come in contact with any person who was tested positive in the last 14 days.
- Ascertain whether any participant has any symptoms of Influenza-like illness (ILI) like fever, dry cough, weakness, severe body ache etc. at the time of beginning of activity. If it is so then he/she should be asked not to participate actively and be evacuated on medical grounds and should be asked to report to the local health authority with his own expenses.
- Strictly avoid eating gutkha, pan masala, cigarette, or sniffing which induces spitting, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching external surfaces and touching your face when in outdoors.
- If the location of your adventure activity is too crowded then be prepared to leave or wait for the crowd to disperse/for your turn.
- It is mandatory that a participant informs the organizers if he tests positive for Covid within 14 days of returning from adventure activity. It will help the organizers to inform and alert all other persons in the group, so that they can follow the medical/government norms in this regard. Here it is absolutely essential that the participant observes
transparency and informs the organizers/group leaders about his Covid test results.
Cancellation one month prior the starting date of the trek — Get your full trek fee back in a Trikon Event Voucher OR get a monetary refund with 20% cancellation charges.
Cancellation between one month and 20 days prior to the starting date of the trek — Get 80% of the trek fee in a Trikon Event Voucher OR get a monetary refund with 50% cancellation charges.
Cancellation less than 20 days prior to the starting date of the trek — No monetary refund, get 50% of your fees in a Trikon Event Voucher.
Flights cost included in packacges are non-refundable.
Train travel costs would be considered refundable after adjusting IRCTC cancellation charges.
Any specified non-refundable advances will also be considered non-refundable.
We almost never cancel our events. But in case we cancel a event because of natural calamities (snowstorms, thunderstorms, floods, landslides, earthquakes) or unexpected political unrest, curfews, local riots, government orders, unexpected global health issues, Trikon will issue a voucher for the full amount of your event fee. You can redeem the Event Voucher on any of our events over the next one year.
- The living root bridges, built 200 years ago
- Umiam Lake, the mesmerizing man made reservoir.
- The eye catching Wei Sawdong & Krang Suri Falls.
- Legendary Nohkalikai falls.
- Natural swimming pools amidst the valleys.
- The natural amusement park at Mawlyngbna.
- Cleanest Village and Cleanest River.
- Indo-Bangladesh border.
- Visit the city of Shillong popularly known as the Scotland of the East.
- Pure backpacking experience.
- Experiencing the Khasi culture to the core.
What is included in the tour
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic accommodation (Triple Sharing Basis )/Home stays
- Breakfast on all days
- All permits, entries etc.
- Internal travel during the trip. Pickup from the airport.
- English Speaking guides at Nongriat and Mawlyngbna
- 5% GST
What is NOT included in the tour
- Your Personal Purchases
- Lunch & Dinner
- Excess stay & meals due to bad weather conditions/strikes, resulting in flight delays or any other form of transport.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusions